06 August 2012

Kiki goes to Singapore Maker Faire! - Part 1

This is the first ever Maker Faire in Singapore! I was so excited that we finally have a Maker Faire here in our little red dot! 

 Although it's a "mini" Maker Faire, it was like a huge playground to me!

The fair was held at the Singapore Science Centre, as part of the Science Festival 2012.

"Make", Maker" "Make Magazine" are all part of an active community of "Makers". Find out more or join the community at www.makezine.com!

So exciting to see so many fellow "makers" under one roof!
Click on an image to enlarge!


Robot'R'Us, a local robotics dealer that I had purchased stuff from. Check out their online store here -> http://www.robot-r-us.com/
 

 Also another cool local robotics store, "Singapore Robotics". They were kind enough to introduce me some really cool new products that are on the way.. Check out their store at this link -> http://www.sgbotic.com/


 In my wishlist, the CRX-10 robotic platform!

They have a huge collection of Arduinos! 

In my arsenal of tools, I use an Arduino Uno and an Arduino Nano (Shown here with with a sensor shield & an LCD display shield)
 The Arduino is an excellent entry-level to micro-controller programming and I started on this hobby not very long ago. I'm a novice compared to what all these experts did with an Arduino.. I'll share some of my projects in my later posts... In the meantime..

I LOVE THE ARDUINO!!

;-)

If you're a fan of the Arduino, join the Singapore Arduino Club! They just started and if you register in the forum and make your first post, your title will be upgraded to "Founding Member"! Go to www.SingaporeArduinoClub.com

A big hit of the Maker Faire are these 3D printers! 




This is Wee Kiam Peng, a brilliant man and the creator of Portabee, a 3D printer that fits in a laptop bag! One of the best features of the Portabee is the price. While many 3D printers goes by the $thousands$, Kiam Peng's Portabee costs (in his own words) "less than an iPad!"
I had the chance to chat with Kiam Peng and found out more about his 3D printer, I was so inspired by his innovations that I attended his workshop where he talks about the Portabee.


When you buy a Portabee, you'll get treated to a cup of coffee! (No joke, he DOES include an instant coffee-mix as part of the kit!)


I really admire his innovations. It's too bad that I had already placed an order for a Makibox, otherwise I would have bought a Portabee.. at only SGD$600.00, you don't have to think twice!

My Makibox (due to arrive soon.. I hope..)

Nevertheless, if you're a maker, do support local innovations! Buy a Portabee HERE!


Continue reading... go to Part 2 of this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Like my blog!